Do you love to write? Want to make your voice heard? SLE is looking for Campus Correspondents to give us the low down on what’s happening with The Student Language Exchange at your school!
Position Overview and Key Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Campus Media Manager, the Campus Correspondent will create content for SLE’s media outlets that will highlight the exciting work being done on their respective SLE campuses. Each correspondent will be responsible for generating a set number of journal articles for SLE’s online journal, The Student Language Examiner, as well as a regular contribution of content for SLE’s Facebook page and Twitter handle. The candidate for this volunteer position will gain social media and writing experience. The aim of this position is to connect the exciting work occurring on our SLE campuses with our wider media audience.
Responsibilities Include (5-7 hrs/wk):
- Communicating with the Campus Media Manager on a regular, timely basis regarding progress in weekly check-in calls and email correspondence
- Generating at least 8 pieces (about 1 per week) for The Student Language Examiner each semester as follows:
- pre-semester announcement of what is coming up for SLE on their campus, including SLE courses being offered that semester, etc.
- a brief spotlight post to introduce themselves to the wider SLE community (first semester only)
- short spotlights or Q&As on each of the fellows, i.e. “Fellow of the Week” piece, highlighting their SLE course (2-6 depending on the campus)
- an end-of-semester wrap-up piece
- feature stories on interesting students, coordinators, partner clubs, or other members of the SLE community on their campus
- Submitting content for SLE media outlets as follows:
- 1 weekly Facebook status (does not necessarily have to pertain to their respective campus, but this is preferable)
- 1 weekly tweet (does not necessarily have to pertain to their respective campus, but this is preferable)
- any events related to language/culture on their campuses, and specifically any events that SLE is organizing on their respective campus
- Gathering photos of SLE courses, events and team members over the course of the semester to be used on social media and for archival purposes (this also may include video content— video stories encouraged for the Examiner!)
- Undergraduate student at Brandeis, Brown, Columbia, Tufts, Vassar or Williams
- Personable team player, independent worker, who is well-organized and reliable
- Excellent time management skills and experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Outstanding communication skills
- Working knowledge of social media sites
- Excellent researcher and fact checker
- Experience in graphic design, illustration, video or photography is a plus
How to apply:
Send a resume, writing sample and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should address why you are interested in contributing to a growing online publication, how your past experiences make you a good fit for the role, and what gets you excited about the Student Language Examiner. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’d love to hear from you! And remember: We’re a fast-paced organization. The early bird catches the worm, so get your application in today!