Classification: Indo-European, Armenian Branch
Official In: Armenia
Also Spoken In: Lebanon, Turkey, Cyprus, the USA, and in the Armenian diaspora worldwide
- Two major dialects, Eastern and Western
- Has its own unique alphabet
- One of the few Indo-European languages that is agglutinative, that forms complex words by the addition of suffixes
- Oldest written text dated to fifth century AD
- Hovannes Adamian, an inventor of color television
- Tamar Kaprelian, Eurovision contestant and Columbia student
Want to learn?
You can find Armenian being taught at SLE Brandeis this spring! In case you are not a Brandeis student though, there are plenty of resources available to learn Armenian online, such as Learn101, Transparent Language, or Armenian101!